There are less than 3 months until the 2013 World Waveski Surfing Titles (22 to 28 April 2013) to be held at Praia Do Futuro in Fortaleza - Ceara, Brasil. So you better get entering and booking and packing and practicing and stuf now eh? Read on for details and link to entry forms.
--- Official Media Release ---
Good morning to National Delegates, Competitors, WWSA (World Waveski Surfing Association) Committee,
The 2013 World Waveski Surfing Association World Titles will be held from 22-28 April 2013.
The location is Praia Do Futuro in Fortaleza - Ceara, Brasil. It is a movable location in the event that the conditions are not ideal.
Entry forms will be released approximately 6 months out from the event i.e. around October 2012. Entries will be processed by the WWSA in collaboration with the Brasilian Waveski Organising Committee. Entries will close 2 weeks out from the first day of advertised start of the championships.
The WWSA Website www.worldwaveski.org and WWSA facebook and national delegates contacts, will be the portal for information and will be updated as information comes to hand.
Could you please advise any changes to national delegates for each country as we would like to ensure that specific information relating to seeds, draw and format is open and transparent. As per the current WWSA Rule Book (2011), Seeding provisions remain the same with results from the most recent WWSA titles (2011) taking priority over any other championship. National and regional results since WWSA Titles 2011 i.e. since August 2011 and up until 2 weeks out from the start of the event i.e. 8 April 2013 will assist with determining seeds to enable riders to be separated in the first round.
There will be some minor modifications to the rule book including the following:-
· Divisions with 6 competitors only will have a winners/losers format to enable 2 surfs for the division.
· The draw will be determined prior to the event and if possible as soon as entries close. The WWSA website has the final top placings from 2011. All results from 2011 are available and will be forwarded to national delegates for transparency. Where competitors have been given an equal placing result then other information (results from other competitions) will be used to separate the rider. Placing names in a hat will only be used as a last resort i.e. where there is no ranking for a competitor.
· The competition will only operate when there is a full complement of safety equipment, marshalls and officials in attendance. Competitors wishing to surf prior to the start of the day’s competition will need to return to the beach to register and collect their competition singlet.
· Right of way for multiple peaks will be determined by the rider who is up first and riding (i.e. under the power of the wave) as per contemporary surfing rules (please refer to International Surfing Association Rules)
· The Tag Team will be renamed – The Team Event (Tag Team has been copyrighted to another discipline not related to waveski surfing), the same rules will apply as per the existing Tag Team rules – please refer to the current rule book. The Team Event will cover both the Open and Women’s as per 2011. We are anticipating that the conditions will be suitable to run this event.
· The International Canoe Federation has sanctioned and endorsed this event.
Thank you all for your support and we look forward to seeing you in Brasil. Please feel welcome to contact us for any further information or queries. We will update as information comes to hand.
With kind regards
World Waveski Surfing Association
21 May 2012
Entry forms can be found at World Waveski Surfing Association website.